Seven fundamental tenets of successful integration
Seven fundamental tenets provide a successful framework for integration that have been tried and proven time and again. What are the seven fundamental tenets of successful integration?
The ultimate goal of any merger or acquisition is to create shareholder value. The value realized in an acquisition depends in large part on how well the newly combined company identifies, manages, and executes on value creation and value capture opportunities. Buyers can take specific steps to more successfully navigate the value capture process by following a well defined, disciplined, and transparent approach to creating value and tracking synergies.
Integration management office
Converting integration strategy into detailed actions that align people, process, and systems with integration objectives requires and effective governance structure – an Integration Management Office (IMO). An IMO can be the glue that holds an integration together.
- Integration planning during due diligence
- Integration management office: Achieving effective integration across the enterprise
- Ready, set, integrate: Using an M&A Integration playbook to deliver deal value
- Video: Integration Management Office
- Blog: How IMOs can up the ante to deliver successful integrations
People in M&A Integration
Aligning people related activities with integration strategy is a critical success factor, involving detailed planning & execution when assessing leaders, retaining the right people, designing the organization, implementing a change management program, aligning cultures, and communicating effectively.
- Change Management: Seven critical drivers of success
- Video: Change Management in M&A Integration
- M&A Communications
- Human Resources Integration
- Strategies to retain and motivate talent
- Prioritizing people in deals
- Deals Blog: Managing human capital during the M&A process
- Video: Closing the deal: How do you address talent?
- Video: Communicating Effectively
A team of functional specialists responsible for integrating core functional areas reports to individuals responsible for the overall integration. Cross-functional workstreams area established to manage dependencies across functional teams. This structure ensures that tactics are closely aligned and dependencies are coordinated to directly support strategy.