The information below provides the U.S. federal definitions for the following protected categories to which individuals can refer when completing the requisite “Voluntary Disclosures” form.
- Hispanic or Latino: a person of Cuban, Mexican, Chicano, Puerto Rican, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race.
- White: a person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.
- Black or African American: a person having origins in any of the black racial groups of Africa.
- Asian: a person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.
- Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander: a person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.
- American Indian or Alaska Native: a person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America), and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.
- Two or More Races: a person who primarily identifies with two or more of the above race categories
- National Guard/Military Reservist: Any current member of the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Coast Guard Reserve, Army National Guard of the U.S., or Air National Guard of the U.S.
- Disabled Veteran: Veterans of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who are entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability
- Recently Separated Veteran: Any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran’s discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service
- Active Wartime or Campaign Badge Veteran: Any veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense
- Armed Forces Service Medal Veteran: Any veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985