The mining and metals sector has taken a big demand hit from the COVID-19 crisis. And both industries have faced considerable logistical challenges. For many mines, physical isolation immediately became a great geographical advantage, less so for those who depend on labour from afar, specialised or otherwise.
A major challenge for metals producers is that smelting and refining plants operate continuous production processes that cannot be readily stopped without damage.
PwC can help:
- Appraise strategic options for derisking business models and reduce supply chain risk
- Toughen up business and financial resilience measures so they are ready for future uncertainties
- Accelerate further your digital transformation and automation journey
- Embed the positive lessons of the pandemic into new and more efficient ways of working
- Consider and deliver on mergers and acquisitions opportunities:
New alliances and partnerships
Savvy companies entering the mining and metals sector are looking to shake things up. But for conventional players struggling to innovate and grow, rethinking deal and partnership strategies is a must.
To that end, many are using increased investment dollars to evaluate capital allocation, make savvy deals, and pursue new deal opportunities. That’s where we come in.
We can help you...
- navigate the diverse field of mining and metals growth opportunities, and deliver your strategic objectives.
- identify local and international alliance and acquisition opportunities, create new ventures, invest in consortiums, acquire competitors, and buy or sell assets.
Transformation through technology
Mining and metals companies increasingly understand the power of technology. The question is: will it transform or trample your business models and competitive advantage?
One thing’s for certain: companies that genuinely understand technology and leverage it strategically will find it to be a fundamental success factor. But issues like cyber risks and intellectual property protection must also be managed well.
Our expertise means we can help you with...
- develop practical technology and data strategies that distinguish between noise and real business value
- align multiple technology solutions, reduce costs and enhance business value by developing strong capabilities, realistic business cases, and a simplified system architecture
- Identify cyber vulnerabilities and help protect your business assets
Building trust and transparency
Companies struggling to build trust face a rapidly changing social landscape. Today’s stakeholders are highly engaged, demand transparency, and often share their opinions on peer-to-peer social networks.
What if their demands continue to grow? How will the stance of governments and regulators change in response to consumer pressure? How can the mining and metals industry respond?
We can help you...
- respond to demands for trust through our quality audit and assurance services; offer stakeholders a way to understand and evaluate your business using a single language and common methods.
- produce non-financial performance reporting to respond to demands for better transparency, corporate governance, and sustainable-based business models.
Organisational culture for a new world
An organisation that’s fit for the future rewards collaboration, builds capabilities, and encourages people to work together. But first you need a diverse talent pool.
To build a workforce that makes you fit for future challenges in the mining and metals industry, you must recognize the need to change your talent strategy, open up your culture to welcome it, and then find the talent you need. But where do you start?
We can help you...
- rethink your approach to talent and culture to be as innovative in your talent strategies as you are with your business strategies.
- build tailored people and organisation solutions to help achieve your strategic ambitions
- preserve your uniqueness but also use rigorous analysis and data driven insight to create lasting, differentiated value