Respondents' answers to the survey questions are illustrated in the following figures. Please note that not all answers add up to 100% because of rounding or because respondents were able to provide multiple answers.
1. Given current economic conditions, will elements of the following business activities and operations be spread out over more or fewer countries in a year's time?
2. Excluding the BRIC countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China), which three emerging markets offer the most potential for your business?
3. Has the downturn made the BRIC countries (Brazil, Russia, India, China) and other emerging markets more important to your organisation as a potential future market, as a current market, or as a source of low-cost inputs?
4. How has your globalisation strategy shifted since the downturn?
5. How does your company’s performance compare with that of peers in the following areas?
6. What did your company see as the main reasons for increasing its level of globalisation before the current downturn, and what would it see as the biggest advantages today?
7. What would you say were the greatest barriers to globalisation at your company before the current downturn, compared with today?
8. How much consideration are the following given when making decisions about increasing activity in countries?
9. Has the current economic climate made your company more or less likely to enter into the following types of arrangements in foreign markets?
10. How has the level of cross-border and domestic consolidation within your sector changed as a result of the current economic difficulties?
11. With regard to the following, have cost concerns led your company to restructure at the global, company-wide level in the past 12 months?
12. Do you agree or disagree with the following?
Which of the following best describes your title?
|Head of Business Unit||9.03%|
|Head of Department||8.39%|
|Other C-level executive||6.45%|
What are your main functional roles? Choose no more than three.
|Strategy and business development||44.23%|
|Marketing and sales||32.05%|
|Operations and production||13.46%|
|Information and research||8.33%|
What type of company do you work for?
|Content developers (business information)||16.20%|
|Nonconsumer hardware manufacturer||13.38%|
|Consumer electronics/device manufacturer||11.97%|
|Other, please specify||10.56%|
|Content developers (entertainment)||7.04%|
|Wireless distribution service provider||5.63%|
|Semiconductors and other components maker||2.82%|
|Hard-wired distribution service provider (e.g., cable TV operator)||2.12%|
What are your organisation’s global annual revenues in US dollars?
|$5bn to $10bn||5.84%|
|$1bn to $5bn||12.99%|
|$500m to $1bn||5.84%|
|$250m to $500m||5.84%|
In which region are you personally based?
|Middle East & Africa||4.52%|
Please provide your personal tenure in the following categories.
|Under 1 year||1 to 3 years||4 to 5 years||6 to 10 years||11 to 15 years||15 to 20 years||Over 20 years|
|Working as a professional||0.00%||5.92%||7.89%||15.79%||21.72%||24.34%||24.34%|
|Working in the human resources function (if applicable)||26.00%||22.00%||16.00%||28.00%||4.00%||0.00%||4.00%|
|Working in the technology industry||3.57%||9.29%||8.57%||29.29%||18.57%||12.14%||18.57%|
|Working for your present employer||7.95%||29.14%||20.53%||27.81%||7.28%||2.65%||4.64%|