Antitrust and EU Competition
Competition law issues are both increasingly crucial to business success and increasingly complex. At the same time, antitrust authorities around the world—and notably in the European Union—are taking a more muscular stance role in combating unfair competitive practices.
Clearly, business-savvy, global legal advice is more valuable than ever. And PwC’s legal services team is ideally positioned to help. Drawing upon the advanced capabilities of our global team of competition economists, valuation specialists, forensic consultants and business advisors, our multi-jurisdictional network of antitrust lawyers can offer you strategic, integrated, commercially focused advice on a full range of local and transnational competition and antitrust matters, including:
- Global M&A compliance (whether purchaser or seller)
- Competition authority investigations and actions
- Litigation and court procedures
- National and supranational legislative updates
- Document filings and notices
- Advice on policies and pricing
- Proactive compliance training
Banking and Finance
PwC’s network of banking and finance lawyers can assist you with the key legal and documentation aspects of debt finance, including:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Refinancing of existing debt
- Syndicated loans
- Intra-group financing arrangements
- Real estate finance
- Asset finance
- Receivables financing
- Lease finance
- Cash pooling and management services
Working closely with industry-focused colleagues in the PwC global network, our team of banking and finance lawyers are well placed to respond quickly to your needs with business-focused solutions, across a significant footprint.
PwC’s real estate legal practice is part of a robust, multidisciplinary network of real estate specialists. Our lawyers work hand in hand with colleagues in PwC’s asset management, tax and assurance practices worldwide to offer a full range of business-focused tax and legal solutions to our clients in the real estate industry. These include:
- Construction law
- Real estate transaction advice (buyer and seller sides)
- Rental agreements
- Due diligence for share, asset and interest deals
- Corporate and tax matters
- Restructuring projects
- REIT regulatory compliance and IPOs
- Capital formation, including closed- and open-ended funds
- Environmental law
- Regulatory matters
In a time of market volatility and regulatory reach, you need a well-rounded legal team backed with the tax and advisory capabilities of a global business services leader. From domestic deals to advising entities with significant international real estate portfolios, PwC’s real estate legal team is well placed to help you with your complex real estate transactions and restructuring projects.
Whilst intellectual property (IP) way well be your most valuable asset, it is only as good as your ability to exploit and protect it. Meanwhile, IP-related legislation around information technology and online content—such as the UK Digital Economy Act—is in a state of radical flux, making it difficult at times to value, protect and exploit this vital asset class.
PwC’s network of intellectual property lawyers can help. In addition to our core IP advisory, licensing and dispute services our lawyers work closely with specialists within the PwC global network of firms to offer commercial, end-to-end intellectual property advice, in areas such as:
With a wealth of litigation experience—from the House of Lords to the European Court of Justice—PwC’s Commercial Litigation lawyers provide advice on dispute resolution to a wide range of clients worldwide. We regularly assist large corporates, private companies, partnerships and private individuals with legal issues on matters such as:
- Commercial contract claims
- Alleged fraud
- Professional negligence
- Agency disputes
- Banking and financial services disputes
- Contentious insolvency
- Partnership disputes
- Product liability
- Group litigation
- Foreign debt recovery
- Corporate manslaughter
When you work with PwC’s commercial litigators, you benefit from a unique advantage—our access to specialists within the PwC global network in critical related areas such as forensic analysis, valuation, tax controversy and dispute resolution, and electronic evidence management.
And while commercial litigation may sometimes be unavoidable, we understand the burden that it places on your resources. That’s why, when planning a legal strategy with you, we focus on the business case—the financial consequences of litigation in the light of your commercial objectives—and, where appropriate, emphasise the efficient resolution of disputes through alternative methods such as arbitration or mediation.
Financial Services Regulation
In the wake of the recent international financial crises, financial services companies around the world are facing a raft of new legislation and regulations affecting virtually every aspect of their businesses.
PwC’s financial services regulatory lawyers are here to help. We advise international commercial and investment banks, investment managers, mortgage brokers, insurers and other key players on critical regulatory developments—and help them understand how to structure and operate their businesses strategically in a drastically new compliance environment.
And if you are contemplating expanding your business and product offerings across multiple jurisdictions, we can also provide integrated advice through our international legal services network. Together with fellow PwC specialists from our global financial services, finance regulation, tax, business assurance, corporate finance, risk management and management consultancy services, we pride ourselves on providing our clients world-class, business-savvy commercial solutions.
Public commercial law is a unique and complex discipline, the more so in an atmosphere of on-going budget cuts and shifting political realities. Yet the legal issues surrounding public procurement, public-private projects, state aid and fees, and privatisations continue. Be it a city development project, public transportation or the construction of a new power plant, when it comes to awarding contracts in the public sector, carefully documented, transparent and unbiased processes are an absolute must.
PwC Legal’s public law practitioners are familiar with the many local, national and EU legal, tax, technical, economic and political issues that must be considered when dealing with states, municipalities and government bodies. Working alongside PwC’s world-class advisory business, our lawyers are adept at crafting effective, seamless legal strategies for our clients. We can help in particular with:
- Tender processes
- Procurement contracts
- Eligibility criteria
- Public notices
- Pricing issues
- Bid evaluation and negotiation
- Public-private partnerships
- Privatisations and reverse privatisations
Every day, information technology more deeply permeates the way companies, governments and individuals operate. The range of emerging risks, opportunities and legislation—including new privacy and data protection laws at both the national and supranational level—continues to evolve at breakneck speed. And the consequences for organisations could not be more profound.
PwC’s Legal Services Network can help you address and manage the legal IT concerns, with innovative, practical solutions adapted to your organisation’s unique needs. We can advise you on a wide range of issues, including:
- IT-related compliance, including and internal compliance processes
- Procurement contracts, software licenses, outsourcing and service level agreements
- Government IT advisory, including legislation advice and help with implementing IT-based relationships, including e-registries, e-notifications, and e-procurement
- Electronic signatures and e-invoicing
- IT litigation
Backed by a robust international network of multidisciplinary PwC advisors, PwC’s Private Client lawyers focus on providing integrated, 360-degree legal advice to high-net-worth individuals, successful entrepreneurs, top executives and their families.
In addition to the central mission of helping our clients structure, protect and grow their wealth for future generations—including independent, highly qualified asset management, tax and retirement planning—we offer a full portfolio of legal services designed to address the private legal needs of our most successful clients and their families. These include:
- Comprehensive succession planning
- Gift contracts and real estate transfer agreements
- International family and inheritance law
- Family foundations and trusts
- Marriage contracts, wills and guardianship agreements
- Family offices and ownership structures
- Family governance constitutions and partnership agreements
- Integrated advice on investments in businesses, real estate and portfolios
- Advice on private equity
White Collar, Corporate Crime
Corruption, fraud, embezzlement, money laundering, theft of trade secrets, insider trading—all are forms of white collar or corporate crime. A single transgression can not only lead to prison terms, it can destroy a company almost overnight, while costing investors billions. An incidence of corporate malfeasance can come to light in any way—and often with very little time to react.
If you are facing such a situation—or would like advice in avoiding one—PwC Legal has strong capabilities in several jurisdictions. From prevention to forensics and internal investigations, damage control to legal representation, we can help you cope with the extremely serious potential consequences of white collar crime. Here are some of the ways:
- Developing preventive measures and guidelines to protect you against criminal sanctions or injurious conduct by employees
- Advising on criminal risk management and how to avoid liability based on management's negligent failure to establish and maintain proper organisational structures
- Conducting criminal legal due diligence reviews
- Assisting with criminal tax and criminal business law proceedings
- Representing individuals before authorities, public prosecutor's office and courts
- Responding immediately in cases involving search or arrest warrants
- Advising on voluntary self-disclosures and amended returns
Working closely with our Tax Controversy and Dispute Resolution network, PwC’s tax litigation team can help you manage your tax disputes, controversies, audits, and examinations around the globe. We can assist you in:
- Tax dispute prevention techniques
- Tax audit management practices
- Tax dispute resolution alternatives
- Global strategic planning of tax audits and disputes
- Tax risk management, analysis and disclosure
To learn more, contact us, or visit our Tax Controversy and Dispute Resolution services page.
Energy is an industry unlike any other. Not only is the provision and supply of power, gas and other forms of energy a hugely complex, volatile economic endeavour, this dynamic industry operates today within a complex, increasingly global legal and regulatory framework.
That means that every player across the energy value chain — whether in exploration and mining; production, storage and trading; transport and distribution; or metering and sales — must operate within a complex web of local, national and often international legal customs and regulatory requirements.
And, if a constantly shifting landscape of global compliance weren’t challenging enough, you must also be prepared to mitigate and, where necessary, litigate or otherwise address the many risks surrounding contractual relationships in this complex industry.
This is where a global legal network integrated with the strong, multidisciplinary business capabilities of a global advisory powerhouse can make all the difference.
With a highly experienced, diverse and multijurisdictional group of practitioners, PwC’s Legal Services network is well positioned to help you. We offer legal advisory services along the entire energy value chain, in critical areas such as:
- Energy and energy-related financial market regulation
- Structuring of joint grid operations
- Customised, sector-specific contracts
- Litigation and arbitration
- Project development in the power plant and renewables sectors
- Energy and energy-related trading agreements (including EFET, ISDA, IETA, GTMA, DRV Master Agreements)
- Exchange-based trading documentation (e.g., exchange and clearing rules, clearing and brokerage services, give-up agreements)
Cyber Security and Data Protection
PwC Legal provides business-critical support on data protection, privacy, confidentiality and security matters to businesses, governments and public authorities all over the world. Successful strategy development, execution and compliance monitoring require blended skills of a multi-disciplinary professional services team, which PwC Legal and PwC are uniquely placed to provide. Working closely with audit, consulting, risk management and forensics experts in all parts of the PwC global network, we provide a unique end-to-end, seamless service.
Our services include:
- Regulatory Reform Readiness: helping you prepare for regulatory changes in data protection and cyber security in the EU and beyond
- My DPO: support for data protection officers and chief privacy officers. Supply of DPO's, CPO's and co-sourcing
- Breach Aid: our one stop shop for handling all kinds of cyber, privacy and data incidents, giving you access to our multi-disciplinary team of experts
- Disputes and Defence: advice and representation in litigation, arbitrations and regulatory investigations and enforcement actions. We also help handle complaints and the exercise of individual rights