A French clothier engaged PwC to ensure that its suppliers' environmental and social compliance was as high quality as the company's signature Navy shirts. The assessment PwC provided was integral to helping the client secure several new public sector uniform contracts.
The client’s challenge
To differentiate itself as a premiere vendor and meet the criteria for consideration for new public sector contracts, a French clothing manufacturer needed a third party assessment of its suppliers' environmental and social compliance.
- PwC professionals:
- Conducted a worldwide social and environmental assessment of suppliers
- Developed a risk mapping protocol for the selection of new suppliers
- Assisted the client with evaluating supplier improvements
Benefits to the client
In addition securing significant new public sector contracts with the French postal service and other organisations, the client enhanced the value of key partnerships.
PwC worked with a Scandinavian industrial group to determine whether its China operations were in compliance with its corporate code of conduct. After conducting a site visit to facilities in the Jiangsu province of, China and interviewing management, we delivered a comprehensive report of findings identifying weaknesses and providing recommendations for improvement
A leading financial services provider in South America chose PwC to conduct an independent verification of its sustainability report. Our uniquely comprehensive approach combined validation of existing information with recommendations for streamlining data management systems and minimising emerging risks. The report earned the client a 2008 UN Global Compact Award and significantly increased credibility with stakeholders.
PwC worked with a trade association for building materials manufacturers to ensure that its membership was competitive for EU's high quality tenders which gave preference to organisations with strong environmental and social performance. The ultimate deliverables, completed Environmental and Sanitary Product Declarations (ESPD), were based on a comprehensive life-cycle analysis and industry benchmark.
The client's challenge
To qualify for high quality tenders the Association needed to identify, capture, and communicate the environmental benefits of its member products in Environmental and Sanitary Product Declarations (ESPD) mandated by EU regulations.
- Assisted the client in defining three key product families for High Environmental Quality tenders
- Formulated ESPDs by collecting data from SNMI members and their primary suppliers
- Performed a confidential benchmark of the environmental impacts of each member company
- Formulated and implemented a stakeholder communications strategy including targeted outreach to clients, architects, etc. that highlighted the environmental benefits of the three products families
Benefits to the client
The Association benefited in a number of respects. Aside from gaining the competitive advantage of qualifying for High Environmental Quality tenders, association members were able to leverage the life-cycle analysis and other data to drive positive marketplace perception and to implement any necessary operational enhancements.