Welcome to Mission Control, a quarterly analysis of merger and acquisition activity in the global aerospace and defense sector that provides an overview of the most recent M&A results and our expectations for future deal activity.
Highlights from this quarter's analysis:
- Volume of M&A in the A&D sector continued to be dampened by US sequestration and related defense budget uncertainty.
- 10 deals worth more than $10 million, at a total value of $1.4 billion, occurred during the period. Deal value during the quarter represents an annual rate of less than $6 billion; the 10-year average is about $20 billion.
- Strategic investors led A&D transactions during the first quarter. Financial investors were involved in only 20 percent of transactions during the period.
- The United States led acquisitions activity, with seven deals worth $50 million or more.
- While aerospace continues to dominate the market, accounting for eight deals worth $50 million or more, the strongest pace since 2000, total deal value in the sector — $900 million — represented the slowest pace since 2009.