Summary of expertise
Matt was a founding partner within our Deals business in Asia in 1997 and has over 20 years of experience providing advisory services to clients undertaking transactions and market entry activities across a range of industries.
From 2003 to 2008, Matt was the Chief Executive Officer and Territory Senior Partner of the PwC Thailand and Mekong Firms. Prior to his relocation to Japan in August 2008, he was also the leader of PwC’s Advisory Services practice across Asia from 2006 - 2008. In Tokyo, He served both as the Chief Strategy and Chief Operating Officer for PwC Japan between 2008 and 2012. He was an elected member of the Global Board of PwC from 2009 to 2017.
Matt is a graduate in Economics and Accountancy from Loughborough University. He trained with PwC London and qualified as a member of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales in 1992, before working in our Hong Kong office from 1992-95.
- Leads our team advising a Japan based corporate with widespread international operations on a global restructuring and equity raising process (ongoing)
- Led our team advising a US multinational in relation to creation of a major air conditioning joint venture with a major Japanese conglomerate (September 2015)
- Co-led the execution of an origination, funding and lead advisory engagement
culminating in formation of a $1billion plus Joint Venture arrangement between a leading Japanese PE player, a leading global PE house and a leading Japanese bank which will focus on investment opportunities in Japan. (August 2015)
- Advised a leading global Electronics Trading House on a series of acquisitions, (including a Tender Offer Bid) to build scale in Japan, and on development of business strategy to secure market share and profit improvement. (May 2014)
- Led a PwC team acting as independent advisor on separation of the business assets of a global construction machinery joint venture between Japanese and a European / US based parties. (July 2013)
- Advised a Japan listed company on acquisition of a distressed UK licensing business (December 2011)