Raising capital in the debt markets
Our Capital Markets group advises companies on raising debt in the European and US and Mongolian markets. We offer tailored advice to a broad range of businesses, from smaller, entrepreneurial companies to sophisticated national or multinational companies that regularly borrow money on international capital markets.
European debt transactions typically involve a Eurobond issue or Euro Medium Term Note Programme (EMTN) listing on the stock exchanges in London, Luxembourg, Dublin or another country in the European Union.
Often a company may wish to offer the notes to institutional investors in the United States, under an exemption afforded by Rule 144 (a). This enables the company to access the US markets without having to register the securities with the Securities Exchange Commission (SEC). As a result, companies can raise capital in the US without having to meet the ongoing reporting requirements associated with SEC registration. Such offerings are still driven by US market practice, which may be unfamiliar to companies inexperienced in raising capital.
- You have to understand which market is right for you and what regulations and market practice you will have to comply with
- You are unclear as to who should be on your advisory team, what you should expect from them and what is a realistic timeframe for your transaction
- Your financial record is complicated by a reorganisation, de-merger of operations or changes in accounting policies and you need to understand how it should be presented to investors
- You need additional expertise and resources to act as project manager over your transaction, as your own resources and management will be fully stretched during the process
- You want to avoid any pitfalls in successfully executing your transaction on schedule
How we can support you
- An independent view of the critical issues in accessing a particular market
- An unbiased evaluation of which advisors are right for you
- Experience in guiding management and companies unfamiliar with the process of raising capital and the documentation required
- Unrivalled experience of dealing with regulatory rules and market practice in the UK, US, Hong Kong and other markets, and the ability to spot and iron out difficulties in advance
- Ability to project manage key parts of your transaction on schedule