Chao Choon leads our Asia Pacific Transaction Services Practice and our Singapore Advisory Practice. He has over 20 years of experience working in both our Singapore and Sydney firms, including the last 15 working on M&A projects across Asia Pacific.
Chao Choon’s M&A clients include financial investors such as TPG, Temasek, GIC, 3i, Actis, Affinity, AMP Capital, Bain Capital, JP Morgan, Merrill Lynch, and Standard Chartered Private Equity; and major corporations like SingTel, Raffles, Natsteel, ST Telemedia and ST Engineering.
Key deal credentials include:
- Oil & gas/ marine: Actis Private Equity’s equity investment into listed KS Energy Limited’s US$228 million consolidation of its distribution businesses in oil & gas, marine, and petrochemical industries; Dubai Drydocks in its acquisition of Labroy Marine Ltd and Pan-United Marine Ltd; BP’s acquisition of a stake in China Aviation Oil in Singapore; Itochu’s acquisition of a 40% stake in KS Energy’s drilling business.
- Technology: A private equity investor’s proposed acquisition of Unisteel, a Singapore-headquartered manufacturer of fasteners for electronic and computer equipments; TDK’s acquisition of Magnecomp Precision Technology (Thailand).
- Real estate: Capitaland in its acquisition of 40% stake in Surbana, a property development consultancy business who also develop 4 townships in China; A consortium of investors led by Ergo Trust Asia in its investment in Shui On Land Ltd (a property development company in China).
- Infocomm: SingTel in its acquisitions of Optus (Australia), Bharti (India), Advanced Info Service (Thailand) and Islacom (Philippines) and proposed acquisition of Cable & Wireless (Hong Kong) and Maxis (Malaysia); ST Telemedia in its acquisition of Indosat (Indonesia) and proposed acquisition of Idea (India); Two private equity investors in separate proposed acquisitions of HKT (Hong Kong) and Guam Telecom.
- Hospitality: Raffles Holdings from its pre-IPO restructuring, IPO, the sale through securitisation of its interest in Raffles City and its acquisition of the Swissotel group; Ascendas hospitality REIT in its pre IPO acquisition of 2 Ibis hotels in Beijing; Two financial investors’ separate acquisition of the 2 Ibis hotels and Merchant Court hotel in Singapore.