Barry is a partner in the Halifax office of PwC Law LLP.
Barry has worked many years in tax law and has focused on international and corporate tax law and M&A with an emphasis on international corporate planning: corporate reorganizations, unlimited liability companies, inbound and outbound investments, cross-border financings and structures, hybrid instruments, and hybrid entities.
He has focused on structuring inbound investment into Canada by non-residents (principally from the US).
- Canadian Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- International Fiscal Association.
Publications & Presentations
- Author, “The Nova Scotia Unlimited Liability Company: The Northern Hybrid” published in Tax Notes International
- Author LinkedIn, “Canadian Federal Budget (International Tax Measures): BEPS and Liberal Government extends Anti-Conduit Rules to Royalties”
- Recommended by Lexpert for corporate tax and international investment (2018, 2017, 2015, 2013)
- Recognized by Best Lawyers in Canada as a leader in tax law (2017, 2016) and international trade and finance law (2017, 2016, 2014)
- Named Halifax Lawyer of the Year (2014)
Community & Professional Involvement
- Former Chair of American Chamber of Commerce in Canada (Atlantic Chapter)
- Former Chair, Taxation Section, Canadian Bar Association (Nova Scotia)
- Editorial board member, International Tax Newsletter
- Former Governor, Canadian Tax Foundation
- Former Chair of the Taxation Section of the Canadian Bar Association (Nova Scotia) for 2003/2004 and 2004/2005
- Editorial Board Member, International Tax Journal
- Vice-Chair, Taxation Section Committee, Foreign Lawyers Forum, American Bar Association
- Member, Working Group, ABA-SBL- M&A Committee 2009-2016, Canadian Private Target Deal Points Study