We track and report the following figures as part of our overall commitment to being a responsible firm.
|Quadrant||Performance Indicator||Unit||FY 2015||FY 2014||FY 2014||FY 2012||FY 2011||FY 2010|
|Giving||Charitable donations and sponsorships||Thousands of CAD||2,674||2,428||1,998||2,399||2,533||2,030|
|Contributions by partners and staff to United Way1||Thousands of CAD||1,879||1,884||2,128||2,220||2,182||2,156|
|Employee engagement||Participation in team volunteering events||Number of staff & partners||2,568||2,211||2,297||2,287||2,275||2,283|
|Time spent by partners and staff in team volunteering events||Hours||19,395||16,583||17, 200
|Skills based team volunteering events2||% Total number of team vounteering events||37||45||29||15||n/a||n/a|
|Employee Satisfaction||“I am satisfied with the actions PwC is taking to be socially
responsible (e.g., supporting community events, organisations
|Greenhouse gas emissions³||Scope 1 (natural gas and fuel oil consumption)4||Tonnes of CO2e||1,422||1,790||1,720||3,4705||1,330||1,360|
|Scope 2 (electricity consumption)||Tonnes of CO2e||2,121||2,640||3,150||3,518||3,440||3,670|
|Scope 3 (air travel, car rentals, rail travel and hotel stays and paper consumption)6,7||Tonnes of CO2e||7,452||7,541||6,1308
|Business air travel||Distance flown by PwC partners and staff||Thousands of kilometers||54,356||52,170||50,182||44,963||48,034||48,232|
|Paper usage||Office paper consumption9||Thousands of sheets||36,861||43,953||51,868||58,350||58,915||66,348|
|Employee satisfaction||“I am satisfied that PwC is responding appropriately to address
the impact of our business activities on the environment.”
|Workforce||Partners||Number of partners||547||527||513||417
|Staff||Number of staff||5,490||5,323||5,419||5,528||5,311||5,303|
|Voluntary departures||% Staff||20||16||14||16||16||12|
|Employee satisfaction||"I would recommend PwC as a great place to work."||% Favourable
|"I am proud to work at PwC."||% Favourable
|Diversity and inclusion10||Women||% Staff & partners||54||55||54||55||56||57|
|Members of a visible minority||% Staff & partners||22||19||16||129||28||27|
|Work/life flexibility||Reduced schedule||% Staff||12||12||3||3||4||4|
|Coaching, learning and development||"I have the opportunity to work on challenging assignments that contribute to my development."||% Favourable||78||78||79||75||74||73|
|Revenues||PwC Canada revenues||Millions of CAD||1,186||1,126||1,120||1,108||1,096||1,034|
|Non-charitable sponsorships||Education sponsorships||Thousands of CAD||362||410||507||364||571||545|
|Other sponsorships||Thousands of CAD||2,792||2,819||2,689||2,882||1,517||1,826|
|Economic Impact||Number of jobs directly or indirectly supported by PwC operating expenditure||Total number||10,267||9,971
1. The United Way campaign is tracked based on a calendar year basis. Therefore, the FY15 value refers to the January 1, 2013 - December31, 2014 campaign.
2. We are reclassify our definition of skills based volunteering and will report back in FY16 on the criteria and developments.
3. Due to rounding, the subtotals may not add to the total. Emissions were calculated using the “GHG Protocol®: A Corporate Accounting and Reporting Standard (Revised Edition)” developed by the World Resource Institute and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development. Scope 1 and 2 calculations are based on consumption data provided by third parties. Where this information was not available, estimates were made based on average consumption. Scope 3 emissions related to business travel were calculated using data provided by Amex Canada Inc and calculation model provided by Data Insights for FY11 to current year and Atmosfair for FY09-FY10. GHG emissions from Hotel stays, Rental Cars and Rail have been estimated in FY11 based on averages of prior years. Since FY12, calculations have been based on hotel nights, preferred car rental service provider reports, and VIA rail utilization reports. Emission factor sources used in calculating the carbon footprint are taken from: annual National Inventory Reports: Greenhouse Gas Sources and Sinks in Canada, Environment Canada; 2013 BC Best Practices Methodology for Quantifying GHG Emissions; the GHG Protocol - GHG emissions from transport or mobile sources calculation tool (June 2013); and Climate Change 1995, The Science of Climate Change: Summary for Policymakers and Technical Summary of the Working Group I Report, IPCC, 1995.
4. The drop in Scope 1 and 2 emissions for FY15 is associated to a milder Canadian winter and reductions in electricity emission factors for certain provinces.
GHG emissions from paper consumption are not included in emissions values for FY12 or prior years.
5. The spike and drop in 2012 was due to the first time reporting of Fuel Oil in one of our Toronto office buildings. PwC moved out of the building before FY13.
6. Rail travel GHG emissions reported in FY11 and prior years was provided directly by AMEX. Data for FY12 onwards has been calculated using employee travel data provided directly by the rail service provider. FY14 data has also been updated to reflect latest available data.
7. To enable year-over-year comparison hotel stay GHG emissions for FY13 onwards were re-calculated due to changes in our calculation methodology.
8. In FY13, previously reported values for emissions associated with car rentals were re-calculated due to changes in our calculation methodology, to enable year-over-year comparison. Please note that car rental data is provided by PwC’s preferred service providers. Reported emissions do not include information from other possible service providers.
9. GHG emissions from paper consumption are not included in emissions values for FY12 or prior years.
10. In FY14, we moved to a consolidated reporting system called Workday. Previously reported values (FY12, FY13) were re-calculated due to changes in calculation methodology, to enable year-over-year comparison.
PwC Corporate Responsibility team
© 2018 - Sun Apr 21 16:59:47 UTC 2019 PwC. All rights reserved. PwC refers to the PwC network and/or one or more of its member firms, each of which is a separate legal entity. Please see www.pwc.com/structure for further details.