Our client is a Bermuda-based captive insurance company providing professional indemnity and other financial lines of insurance for a global network of professional services firms. Since starting underwriting operations in 1998, the company has developed a reputation for experienced and supportive claims oversight and strong client service.
Reporting to the Deputy General Counsel, and working closely with the General Counsel, the Senior Claims & Legal Counsel will be responsible for day-to-day oversight of assigned professional indemnity claims notified by the professional services firms. The role will involve regular interaction with assured firms and external counsel, on claims management issues, including responsibility for maintaining relationships with the Risk Management personnel and in-house legal teams of the professional services firms around the world. The role will also involve supporting the company’s legal function with non-claims related projects and legal tasks. With a team of only three lawyers including the Senior Claims & Legal Counsel, this is a senior role with significant responsibility. The candidate must have extensive experience in claims handling in the professional malpractice space, be hard-working and dependable.
The core responsibilities will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Manage the company’s claims processes for specific claims (including monitoring, notification and insurance verification, reserving, claim payments, and reporting);
- Where appropriate and directed, assist the professional services firms facing litigation, threats of litigation, and regulatory investigations, with legal strategies, including advice around e-discovery processes;
- Liaise regularly on claims management issues with the insured member firms and their counsel;
- Assess new claim notifications and identify and resolve coverage issues;
- Assess firm reports and loss/cost reserves with a critical eye and ensure appropriate claims reserves;
- rovide claims data to and assist the company’s actuaries, in connection with the loss reserving process;
- Assist with the negotiation and drafting of insurance policies and reinsurance agreements;
- Be willing to undertake and/or direct commercial / contractual legal work, when required, including the drafting of: Non- Disclosure Agreements, Independent Contractor Agreements, and Vendor Service Agreements;
- Support the company’s compliance function with local regulatory requirements in multiple jurisdictions worldwide, including the occasional drafting and updating of company policies and ongoing monitoring of legal, statutory and regulatory developments relevant to the company’s operations;
- Work with the company’s Claims Analyst in identifying and reporting upon trends, and provide support for the preparation of Claims Team reports and presentations;
- Review, update, and maintain the professional service firms professional indemnity policies.
This is an important and rewarding role in a small but critically important team, and would particularly suit a litigation lawyer with requisite experience to be able to monitor, guide and advise upon, claims made against a Big 4 global network of firms. The successful candidate will have experience relating to claims against accountancy firms--ideally Big 4 accounting firms. The core requirements are as follows:
- Qualified JD, or UK / Commonwealth lawyer, with at least 7 years of litigation or litigation management experience within a US or English common law jurisdiction. Experience could have been gained within the commercial litigation department of a major law firm; or as Claims Counsel for an insurance company; or as in-house Counsel within a Big 4 firm;
- Experience in relation to the defence of professional liability claims against accountants’ malpractice / negligence, including:
- Comfort management complex assurance litigation;
- Comfort managing large scale e-discovery projects;
- Experience supporting professionals in disciplinary matters;
- Some level of familiarity with financial reporting/auditing;
- Strong interpersonal abilities and outstanding communication skills;
- Capable of interacting effectively with Assureds and external Counsel around the world, sometimes with calls very early or late in the day;
- Strong analytical and problem–solving skills, with the ability to quickly understand the nature of claims, and factors contributing to potential losses;
- Some financial analysis skills, and an investigative, detail-conscious mind-set;
- Willingness to travel;
- A good team player, capable of operating effectively in a hands-on, small-team environment, with a willingness to occasionally provide assistance outside of this job description, and with a work ethic and style that are consistent with the firm’s values.
Please forward a detail resume in confidence to:
PricewaterhouseCoopers Executive Search