Insurance risk management case study

How one organization was able to change the terms of a deal based on the seller’s understatement of insurance reserves


The issue: Our client needed to understand whether a retail acquisition target had adequate Workers’ Compensation and Professional Liability insurance.

Our approach: We found that the retail acquisition target had a flawed methodology to estimating Workers’ Compensation and General Liability self-insured loss expense. We identified a loss and premium expense understatement of $4.3 million and $2.6 million understatement of Workers’ Compensation, general and auto liability losses.

The outcome: The findings reduced EBITDA of the acquisition target by $3 million. This was used to establish a successful negotiation position, with the seller agreeing to pay any historic incident claims in excess of the cap, based on the reserves.

Click here for more about our Insurance risk management services.

Return to case studies main page.