Income tax planning and compliance
The tax environment requires a tactical approach and a range of strategies so that you are well positioned for tax policy changes.
- Tax returns
- US and international reporting
- Tax payments
- IRS communication
- Interface with advisors
Your investment strategy should keep you on an even keel while providing the flexibility you need to capitalize on new opportunities.
- Tax efficient investments
- Reporting and disclosures
- Structure of US and non-US holdings and asset allocation
- Selection of investment holding vehicle
- Independent 3rd party sounding board
Estate, trust and gift planning and compliance
Without proper planning, estate and inheritance taxes can significantly impact the wealth available for future generations. Plans should be reviewed routinely to address changes in tax laws.
- Assess and coordinate estate documentation, arrangements and matters
- Tax reporting and disclosures
- Suggesting gross estate and global tax exposure
- Consulting regarding non-US local jurisdiction laws and customs
- Lifetime giving to family and charities
- Effective use of trusts and other entities
An ideal philanthropic giving strategy achieves the family's goals while being tax efficient.
- Analyzing tax efficiency of current and proposed giving
- Utilizing charitable trusts and foundations in wealth planning
- Time horizon for giving
- Coordinating philanthropic goals and estate planning
- Facilitating financial and social responsibility
Insurance and risk management
Protecting your family’s well-being and assets from various risks involves obtaining appropriate insurance coverage and making strategic choices about forms of asset ownership.
- Independent and objective assessment of life insurance coverage
- Policy comparisons
- Insurance for liability and investment purposes
- Analyzing assets and beneficial ownership structures
Succession planning plays a critical role in the longevity of your family business. Communicating with family members and other key stakeholders about your plan is a critical ingredient in your business lasting beyond a leadership transition.
- Guidance in the process of developing a succession plan and process
- Tax considerations
- Transitioning the business: exit strategies, IPOs, 3rd party sale
The administrative and managerial needs of high-net-worth families can be extensive and a family office can help meet those needs.
- Structure and creation (single-family offices versus multiple-family offices)
- Ongoing operations
- Family office regulation
- Tax considerations
Lifestyle (unique) investments
Ownership of yachts, airplanes, classic automobiles and art brings unique tax issues. Tax efficient ownership of these types of assets should be considered.
- Facilitate assessment of assets
- Support planning for acquisitions and/or dispositions
- Choice of entity/jurisdictionVAT compliance and planning