To be successful, an outsourcing arrangement must be closely aligned with and driven by a sound business strategy. This means:
The clarity of the business model is key to the success of every other aspect of the outsourcing lifecycle.
- Having a clearly identified link to a validated business strategy
- Indentifying the options available to meet the strategy
- Being clear about the objectives and required benefits of an outsource, and the criteria by which success will be measured
- Preparing a business model that factors in not only customer and supplier needs, but also the needs of important stakeholders such as consumer business units
- Agreeing on a senior sponsor with clear accountability and authority for making the outsourcing arrangement a success, and supporting that individual with a strong team