Robert Valletta, US healthcare provider leader, and Alicia Harkness, US healthcare education and academic medical center advisory practice leader, co-authored an HFM article addressing new approaches AMCs should consider to become more cost-efficient and profitable. In their article they address five strategies AMCs should consider as reforms are implemented:
- Make faculty responsible for cost and quality.
- Explore opportunities to collaborate with community hospitals.
- Extend care and education beyond the walls of the organization, employing technology and innovative teaching practices.
- Maximize healthcare IT investment by sharing data-rich patient records with other medical centers and research institutes.
- Align research with business strategy.