Highlights from this quarter's report:
- Third quarter Cleantech investment, at $791 million, declined 20% compared to the second quarter, a rate similar to that of overall venture investment.
- While deal volume remained about the same on a quarter-to-quarter basis, volume of activity on a year-over-year basis saw a decrease of 33 percent from 86 deals in the third quarter of 2011 to 58 deals in the third quarter of 2012.
- Year-over-year funding declined 16%, while average deal size climbed 24% to $13.6 million during the same period due to an increase in the average deal size for follow-on funding.
- First time funding fell steeply, to $23 million, a 77% decline compared to the third quarter 2011.
- Year-over-year funding climbed in transportation and alternative fuels, but fell steeply in solar, wind, smart grid, storage and recycling.
- The Midwest and Southern California received the most funding, driven by investments in transportation.