This year, 1,952 family businesses took part in the survey from over 30 countries, including, for the first time, Australia, China/Hong Kong and India. According to this year's survey, 80% of family businesses have strong and confident ambitions for growth.
Other key findings include:
- 65% have grown sales in the past year (compared to only less than half in 2010)
- Almost 60% say attracting the right skills/talent will be a key challenge in five years' time
- 64% think the general economic situation will be their key challenge in five years' time
- Over 60% see the need to continually innovate as the key internal challenge in five years' time
- A quarter of our respondents' sales are currently international; this will rise to 30% in five years' time
Visit our dedicated Family Business Survey microsite to make use of the following innovative tools:
- The benchmarking tool: Discover how resilient you are - compare your business against the results in our online benchmarking tool and create your own personalized report which will benchmark your company against companies of a similar size, generation and region.
- Data exploration: What do family businesses think about when they are looking to hand over the business? How are they going to achieve growth? What are their attitudes toward the government? What makes family businesses unique? What threatens growth? Explore the date to find out more.
- Territory insights: From Singapore to South America, our Survey looks at the unique challenges that family businesses face regardless of where they are in the world. The respondents could not have been more varied in size, industry and location, yet there was marked similarity in their approach to business and in what they considered to be distinctive characteristics of businesses like theirs.