What is PwC's China Sourcing Initiative (CSI)?
China’s strong economic growth has created promising career opportunities in the professional services arena. To attract overseas talent to our firms in China and Hong Kong, PwC’s global network of firms launched the China Sourcing Initiative in 2007. Dedicated recruiting professionals located in PwC UK, PwC US and PwC Australia recruit individuals to PwC China and PwC Hong Kong who have international experience and valuable local Chinese knowledge and language skills. This initiative provides high calibre individuals the opportunity to work for a global professional services brand.
Why work in China and Hong Kong?
China recorded a foreign direct investment of US$105.7 billion in 2010. Currently, China is the No.1 holder of foreign reserves, the 2nd largest economy and the No. 1 exporter in the world. The 2008 Beijing Olympics put China in the world’s spotlight. Similarly, the 2010 World Expo Shanghai facilitated the municipal government’s decision to turn Shanghai into a global economic, financial, trading and shipping center by 2020. This rapid economic growth and prospering business opportunities turned China into one of the world’s most prominent and exciting markets for your global career development. If this interests you, you should consider a career in China.
Hong Kong is ideally positioned in the center of rapidly developing East Asia. It’s ranked the world’s third largest banking and financial center by Global Financial Centers Index. It’s also Asia’s third biggest stock market by market capitalization with the second highest value of initial public offerings, and the ninth largest foreign exchange market in the world. The Hong Kong economy is the gateway to mainland China and stands in a strong position to partner with and to provide business services to foreign enterprises seeking to enter the mainland Chinese market. This has resulted in a high demand of accounting, tax and advisory professionals who can understand the two markets and provide services from Hong Kong to the Chinese market.
What do we look for in CSI recruits?
The PwC network of firms recruits individuals with degrees in accounting, finance, economics, computer science, management information systems, and other business related areas. If you aspire to launch your career with the PwC network of member firms in China and Hong Kong, your academic excellence, and the ability to read, write, and speak Mandarin or Cantonese is essential. You should be eligible to work legally in China or Hong Kong without sponsorship.
You are the ideal candidate, if you:
- are willing to work in China/Hong Kong upon graduation;
- can interact with PwC professionals and clients with creative problem-solving skills;
- can work effectively as a member of a professional team, and function well with independent responsibilities;
- can apply your expertise across industries and be eager to develop your talent and knowledge base;
- are flexible and adaptable to a dynamic work environment;
- are highly motivated and interested in taking ownership of your personal and professional growth and development.
PwC - China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan
PwC China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan work together on a collaborative basis, subject to local applicable laws. Collectively, these firms have around 620 partners and a strength of 14,000 people.
Providing organisations with the advice they need, wherever they may be located, our highly qualified, experienced professionals listen to different points of view to help organisations solve their business issues and identify and maximize the opportunities they seek. Our industry specialization allows us to help co-create solutions with our clients for their sector of interest.
Our China, Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan member firms have offices located in these cities: Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai, Singapore, Taipei, Chongqing, Chungli, Dalian, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Hsinchu, Kaohsiung, Macau, Nanjing, Ningbo, Qingdao, Shenzhen, Suzhou, Taichung, Tainan, Tianjin, Xiamen and Xi'an.
PwC China/Hong Kong Awards
- PwC was named “Accounting Firm of the Year” and “Mid-market Financial Advisor of the Year” in the “Asia Pacific M&A Award 2011” by mergermarket and Financial Times
- Won 17 awards at the International Tax Review Awards 2010
- Winner of the "Best Auditor” award by Asian Investor for the third year running
- The Chinese Institute of Certified Public Accountants (CICPA) ranked PwC China first in the “Top 100 Accounting Firms” for nine consecutive years.
- PwC China was the gold award winner in the “Excellent Private Equity/Venture Capital Service Provider” category at the First China
Venture Capital Summit in 2011
- PwC China was awarded “The Best Accounting Firm for Chinese Companies Going Overseas IPO” by Zero2IPO
- PwC China was “The Most Ideal Employer for Professional Training and Development” in the Universum 2010 Chinese Students Survey
- PwC China won the “Eco Solutions Printing Award China 2011” by Hewlett-Packard and IDC
- PwC China was the exclusive accounting services supplier to the “26th Summer Universiade Shenzhen” in 2011
- PwC Hong Kong received the “Caring Company” award nine times from Hong Kong Council of Social Service
Prepare yourself with basic knowledge
Tony Duan, Senior Tax Associate
“Since accounting and tax rules and methods differ between the US and China, the firm provided me excellent training and coaching to help understand these differences, and to give me access to knowledge and resources. As a result of learning from on-the-job experience and seminars, I am confident to work on tax planning projects, and I am now preparing to take the CTA ("Certified Tax Agent") tests.”
Understand the culture in China and Hong Kong
Kenneth Wong, Senior Advisory Associate
People at PwC China are welcoming, friendly and conscious of your needs. I remember on my first day, I was buddied up with a senior associate. She immediately introduced me to all the colleagues and took me out for lunch with her entire team of 15 people. PwC China truly sees the importance of investing in both people and client relationships and advocates teamwork to achieve success in China.”
Learn from examination training and job simulations
Juju Jiao, Senior Assurance Associate
“I enjoy learning something new every day at PwC China. The opportunity to work on various engagements with different clients in different industries keeps me engaged and excited about what I do. With the e-learning programs and job simulation training, I acquire better skills and knowledge for taking up additional responsibilities as I progress in my job. In addition, I appreciated the CPA examination training program the firm provided - it helped me to pass my first four examinations within two years.”
Coaching to develop yourself and your career
Wendy Wong, Senior Advisory Associate
“I grew up in the US, but I wanted to build my career in China since I believe China is the next booming economy with plenty of career opportunities. Since moving to Hong Kong, I rely on my Career Coach who provides me quality coaching to help me to get acclimated to life and work here. With her support and an encouraging environment, I am not afraid of making mistakes. I am empowered to learn from different people and difficult situations. I am confident that I will be successful because of the experience I am getting in China. What I am learning today is an investment in my career.”
Be a member of the winning team
If you’re interested to apply for positions in China and Hong Kong through the CSI programme, please contact: