Bringing clarity to an area of complex accounting and reporting
Accounting and financial reporting standards require companies to estimate asset retirement obligations (AROs) and environmental obligations as part of their normal accounting and reporting practices. In transactions, companies considering acquisitions, divestitures or spin-offs must be aware of both the reporting complexity and impacts to deal value.
These obligations are driven by environmental regulations that exist at the federal, state and local levels, as well as lease requirements, including:
- Closure obligations
- Capital spending
- Compliance performance
- Renewable energy
Scrutiny from investors and regulators on these continues to increase. Furthermore, the SEC and PCAOB continue to comment on management estimates and the accounting in this area. And while the accounting standards may appear to be clear, interpretation and application of those standards are anything but. So how do you know if your organization measures up?
Our environmental accounting advisory team can bring clarity to these complex regulations and help you reduce your financial reporting risks with environmental liabilities and AROs. We also can help evaluate the impacts of these obligations in transactions.
Our subject matter specialists understand the science, engineering, regulations and cost estimating rules, as well as accounting rules, that are required to effectively address these exposures. They can help you:
- understand key reporting, regulatory, and compliance issues by sector
- evaluate the basis and rationale for your obligations and disclosures (e.g., in accordance with ASC 410, ASC 450, or IAS37)
- assess and develop environmental liability/ARO cost estimates and valuations for business combinations
- assist with the development of an overall environmental liability/ARO management approach
- provide clear documentation that will withstand audit scrutiny
- conduct due diligence and evaluate material exposures in deals
- prepare for third-party assurance of environmental, social and governance performance metrics.