Making waves: Southeast Asia series
Greetings from PwC Thailand (PricewaterhouseCoopers). We’d like to share with you our latest research ‘Making waves: Southeast Asia series’(August 2012).
With Asia being one of the most watched markets in the world and undergoing rapid transformation, this publication offers comprehensive telco industry snapshots of Asia’s emerging economies, including the Philippines, Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Cambodia and Laos.
A few highlights from the report include:
- Global telco growth is expected to be led by Asia, which accounts for close to two-thirds of the world’s population. With Asia Pacific’s relatively low teledensity rate for mobile phone and mobile broadband, there is significant ‘room for telco market growth’compared to that of Europe and the US.
- Global mobile subscription is forecast to increase at a Compound Annual Growth Rate (CAGR) of 5.6%, reaching 9.7 billion subscribers in 2020.
- Mobile subscriber growth in most Asian countries is expected to slow as the market matures, especially in urban areas. However, key growth markets in Asia over the next five years are Indonesia and China.
- Most of emerging Southeast Asian countries have reached maturity stage with over 100% mobile penetration rate. The Philippines, Indonesia and Vietnam each has significant subscriber base of over 100 million.
- In Thailand’s case, mature and competitive telco market with mobile penetration rate is estimated to be at 119% this year.
- 3G subscribers in Thailand is forecast to grow by 35% CAGR in the next five years to 19 million.
- Commercial 3G launch in Thailand is expected to help mobile operators increase revenue from higher data usage and mobile broadband service.
A copy of the research can be downloaded at: http://www.pwc.com/en_MY/my/assets/publications/making-waves_philippines.pdf