Vikas Sharma, TICE Industry Group
Click here to watch video
“Interactive government to support vibrant communities”
- Rs200m earmarked to facilitate citizen interaction with government online services such as electronic payments, automated notification and digital signatures.
- Streamline administrative processes through ICT solutions such as e-Work Permits, e-Registry, interactive kiosks in post offices.
- Implement e-Monitoring system to reduce processing time for Building and Land Use Permit to 14 days, and track applications related to Municipalities and District Councils.
- Support SMEs’ online presence by providing free websites, and subsidies of 50% for complex websites not exceeding Rs 6,000.
- Build national resilience by setting up a National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Centre. This includes allocation of Rs35m for an IT based early warning and emergency alert system.
- Continue investment of Rs87m to provide free Wi-Fi connectivity in all public and private aided secondary schools.
- Rs 243m allotted for supply of digital tablets to students in public and private aided secondary schools, as from early next year.
- Expand Ebène Accelerator facility to Port Louis to promote young entrepreneurs in the field of software development.
- Further drop in the tariffs for International Private Lease Circuits by 16% as from January 2014, bringing a cumulative reduction of 80% since 2005.
- Provide Fibre -To -The -Home (FTTH) connectivity to over 50,000 households, by 2014, with an average speed of 30 megabytes per second.
- Investment of Rs7bn planned by operators over the next 5 years for connection of the LION and SEAS fibre optic cable between Mauritius and Seychelles, thus enhancing connectivity with East Africa.