Challenges facing the Energy sector in Kenya
The biggest challenge facing the sub sector therefore includes:
Reducing the overall cost of electric power delivered to customers. This stems from the over-reliance of thermal generation and emergency power that points to inefficient long term planning.
- Investment in renewable alternative and sustainable power sources such as wind and geothermal
- Use of new technology such as smart metering to improve billings and collections
- Increasing the generation capacity to ensure there is adequate spare capacity
- Reducing technical and commercial power losses – that currently stand at about 17-18%
- Rehabilitation of the existing transmission and distribution network
- Expansion to underserved areas – mainly rural areas and
- Strengthening the regulatory framework to encourage competition and efficiency within the the sector.