Trends and Challenges of Climate Change Negotiations: Interview with Christiana Figueres, the United Nations climate chief (Executive Secretary of the UNFCCC)
Pedro Larrea and Maria Luz Castilla, partner and director at Pw Spain, had the opportunity to speak first-hand with Christiana Figueres, the Executive Secretary of the UNFCCC (United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change).
Christiana Figueres offers her insights in responding to questions including:
- Is climate change really slipping in priority on the political agenda?
- The nuclear crisis in Japan and some of the Japanese government’s declarations have given rise to concerns, especially considering that Japan hosted the Kyoto conference. Has this been a kind of coup and what impact might this have on the entire process?
- Investors are deeply concerned about what will happen in carbon markets post-Kyoto. What possible solutions can be found for the Kyoto Protocol after this period, and what influence might they have on carbon markets?
- What is the role of the private sector in both the mitigation and the adaptation processes?
- How are the talks on the Green Climate Fund and the Technology Mechanism going and when will the funds start flowing?