2008 global forest, paper and packaging survey
2008 edition: Survey of 2007 results
Now in its 11th year, our survey benchmarks the financial performance of the PwC Top 100 forest, paper and paper-based packaging companies around the world. It includes a write-up of our global industry conference in Vancouver in May 2008, which featured some of the new and evolving industry themes, notably bio-energy.
Of particular note, this year's survey highlights that:
- ROCE has remained flat at 4.8% vs 4.7% last year. However, ROCE varies widely by region with the emerging market players ahead of the pack.
- Rising fibre, energy and transportation costs have negatively impacted results.
- The depreciation of the US dollar has generally had a negative impact on global industry performance.
- FPP investment and growth has continued in emerging markets but has declined in US, Europe and Canada.
- There are increasing pressures on fibre supply from emerging market demand and renewable energy.
- Deal activity was buoyant in 2007 but the immediate outlook for deal trends is unclear.
- Near-term improvement in overall industry performance looks unlikely.