Forecast for a new decade: What lies ahead for the energy, utilities and mining sectors?
Each year PwC holds its Global Energy, Utilities & Mining conference in November, bringing together over 500 partners and managers from our global practice, representing more than 60 countries. The 2011 conference took place in Houston, Texas with the theme, "Forecast for a new decade: What lies ahead for the energy, utilities and mining sectors?" Participants had the opportunity to hear first hand from top executives and experts from companies and organisations about a wide array of issues and trends that will likely impact our industries over the next ten years.
The conference topics featured both keynote addresses and panel discussions focusing on the future of energy, leadership perspectives, new technology, geopolitics, state-owned enterprises, and mergers and acquisitions.
- The keynote presentation, "The future of global energy," was given by Dr. Scott Tinker, Director of the Bureau of Economic Geology, Jackson School of Geosciences at the University of Texas at Austin and State Geologist of Texas.
- The first panel discussed "Leadership perspectives - key risks and opportunities for the next decade," and featured Janet Clark, EVP & CFO, Marathon Oil Corporation, Richard T. O'Brien, President & CEO, Newmont Mining Corporation, and Andrew L. Good, Senior Vice President, Corporate Strategy and Development, Constellation Energy.
- Panel 2 addressed, " New technology for a new decade - what breakthroughs will we see?" and featured speakers Rod Nelson, VP of Government & Community Relations, Schlumberger, Dr. Sam Marcuson, Vice-President, Business Improvement, Vale Canada Limited, and Francesco Sessa, Head of Network Development, ENEL SpA.
- From technology, the topic moved to geopolitics, when Dr. Robert Johnston, Director, Energy and Natural Resources, Eurasia Group and Amy Myers Jaffe, Associate Director, Rice Energy Program, Baker Institute Energy Forum looked at "Geopolitics in the EU&M sectors.
- The fourth panel addressed, " State-owned enterprises: What lies ahead for the next decade?" Temuulen G., Deputy CEO of Erdenes MGL and Erdenes-TT JSC, Pedro Bonesio, CFO, Petrobras America Inc., and Mary Annie Cairns Guerrero, Investor Relations Manager, Electrobras each shared their perspectives on their respective sector.
- The world of M&A - deal objectives, fundamentals and finances," was the final topic of the speaker panels, and Ian C. Connor, Managing Director, Investment Banking, J.P. Morgan, Russell Sherrill, Managing Partner, Co-founder, Global Energy Capital LP, Timo Jauristo, Executive Vice President, Corporate Development, Goldcorp Inc. shared their insights and thoughts about the next ten years of transactions.