Development of pharmaceutical industry in the past 10 years – 10 most important trends
Deeper specialization, less aggressive style of marketing and cooperation instead of M&A - these are some of the main features, which will become characteristic of pharmaceutical industry in the upcoming period according to the PwC survey called "Pharma 2020: Which path will you take?"
The survey also revealed, that the global market with pharmaceuticals will double to 1,3 trillion dollars. New model of pharmaceuticals will bear following main attributes:
- More sophisticated direct-to-consumer distribution channels will diminish the role of wholesalers
- Benefits of cooperation within the industry will suppress the need of M&As
- The nature of cooperation of pharmaceutical companies with other institutions ranging from research organizations to competitors will change
- R&D will become more efficient – “virtual patient” will bring cost savings
- The blockbuster sales model will disappear; more emphasis will be placed on specialized medication and treatment procedures
- The importance of a patient and medical expanse payers will increase
- Patients undergoing of correct treatment will be under more consistent control
- Focus will shift from treatment to prevention
- International regulatory bodies will strengthen its positions
- Emerging markets will reinforce its activity in the pharmaceutical industry segment
We have Published seven studies from “Pharma 2020:
Which path will you take” series.
You can review and download all of them from the following websites: