Firms in the PwC network have different priorities in relation to CR. Our global CR strategy provides a common vision for leadership but allows for flexibility in the pace, prioritisation and localisation of activities. To provide practical yet flexible guidance on strategy implementation for PwC firms we have developed "leadership ladders".
For each focus area the ladders provide practical guidance and inspiration to progress from foundation level CR activities to CR leadership. Each of the steps of the ladder considers four dimensions: behaviour change; strategy and policy; measurement and engagement; and impact assessment.
All PwC firms are expected to fulfil key elements of the Foundation Level while our 21 largest firms are expected to achieve all Foundation level indicators. All PwC firms are encouraged to progress further, particularly in areas they feel are more locally relevant.
The leadership ladders work alongside our Global Code of Conduct to which all PwC firms adhere. Below we provide a summary of the type of guidance included in the leadership ladders.
- CR is integral to the business strategy and is embedded into operational policies
- Demonstrates leadership in public debates on relevant issues - acts as a catalyst for broader action
- CR performance metrics cover direct and indirect impacts along the business value chain and are integrated into management information
- Programmes include strategic partnerships and reflect a multi stakeholder approach
- Robust stakeholder engagement is in place with clear communication of outcomes
- Regular engagement in public debate on relevant issues
- Measurement and data systems are further developed and reflect leading global good practice methodologies
- Demonstrable progress on CR targets is achieved
- Strategic rationale for all programmes is in place which considers the results of stakeholder engagement
- Programmes are in place to improve the PwC firm's CR impact through increased people engagement including the use of PwC skills and core competencies
- Some engagement in public debate on relevant issues
- Performance baselines and targets are in place
- Leadership is accountable for CR
- Local CR strategy and business case is in place which is aligned to the global strategy and reflects local priorities
- Basic level of stakeholder engagement is in place
- Programmes to manage and improve CR impact are underway
- Programmes to raise PwC people's awareness of CR issues are underway
- Programmes provide opportunities for PwC people to engage and be involved in CR efforts
- Basic CR measurement systems are in place in accordance with PwC Network CR Reporting Manual