Case Study: IT Strategy for Specialty Retailer
View this page in:
CLIENT: A multi-billion dollar specialty retailer.
This specialty retailer engaged PwC Retail Consulting Services to develop an IT strategy to support the business direction for technology over the next three to five years. The retailer had completed a number of major strategic and tactical initiatives and made several acquisitions. With the significant amount of growth and changes in recent years, the IT strategy was dated and did not reflect the current business model.
We worked with the retailer to:
- Develop a comprehensive IT strategy to support the client’s budget and planning cycle that concentrated on applications, governance and IT organizational design while balancing risk management.
- Review all applications, both legacy and those acquired through recent acquisitions, and developed a detailed map by function of technical and functional strengths for the company to leverage in the future.
- Support the Chief Information Officer in the development of the required strategic decisions to ensure IT systems would align with the business strategy, budget constraints and desired future flexibility.
- Identify supporting governance plans and structures to lead the decision-making processes to completion.
- Develop an IT organizational strategy to balance the need for internal and external support in executing the future IT roadmap.
The IT strategy was completed within three months to present to the executive team and board of directors with successful results. Using the strategy, the CIO developed implementation plans for his organization and application architecture.