An Employer’s Guide to the GST/HST Pension Plan Rules
View this page in:
Preparing to file the December 2010 GST/HST return
Employers face a range of GST/HST compliance requirements related to pension plans. If they have a pension plan, a December 31, 2010 year end and monthly GST/HST reporting periods, they must remit tax on certain deemed supplies on returns by January 31, 2011.
This webcast will help employers participating in a pension plan deal with their new compliance obligations. Members from PwC's Indirect Tax group walk you through a practical explanation of the new rules, and provide a list of actions to meet the January 31, 2011 compliance obligations.
The topics addressed include:
- Reporting tax on deemed supplies in the GST/HST return
- Identifying actual and deemed supplies by the employer to the pension entity
- determining the fair market value of deemed supplies and calculation of applicable tax
- examining the rules when multiple plans and a master trust are involved
- Issuing Tax Adjustment Notes (TANs) to a pension entity when there is both an actual and deemed supply of the same resource and
- Informing pension entities of the tax they are deemed to have paid on deemed supplies.