Driving business performance in today’s complex, volatile and rapidly evolving environment presents unique challenges for senior management. There is an increasing demand for finance leaders to lead business strategy in real time — a shift toward performance insight, and higher value placed on an integrated business planning approach. As you look to make changes to better manage the performance of your business, there is great value and opportunity in examining processes, data, people and technology, holistically.
Our Enterprise Performance Management (EPM) framework will help you gather and analyze the right information, and apply it across your company for better business performance. It’s a disciplined, management approach to information to give your team a deeper understanding of what drives company performance, and how to make the right investments moving forward — a continuous cycle of strategy to execution. It aligns people, processes and technology to empower business decisions making.
CFO as a performance officer
EPM will help you to look beyond the traditional role of a finance executive, as the role of a CFO is evolving from a scorekeeper, to a performance driver. This is why the alignment of all people, processes, technology, operations and data across the enterprise is a key part of the EPM framework — to move away from siloed operation, especially when it comes to finance.
Less time on data, more time on value
Our team will help you bridge the gap between spreadsheet maintenance and business insight to help you make better and faster decisions. EPM helps you spend less time on the actual gathering of information, and allows you to spend more time on making business decisions to drive performance.
Focus and alignment
The integration of strategy, finance and operational plans provide the alignment necessary to achieve overall, strategic objectives. Taking a step back can often reveal that strategy is misunderstood across different levels or departments, or that personal objectives are at odds with organizational objectives. A holistic approach that aligns enterprise processes makes it easier to achieve your overall company objectives.
EPM helps to focus on both reliable information, and the transparent presentation of information for better and more timely decision making. An emphasis on the right data helps to provide insight across the organization, furthering the holistic approach that aligns enterprise objectives.
Organizations are moving towards a future-oriented view, using the information they have now and enhanced analytics to form business strategy. The EPM framework helps to create a clear roadmap for the future, making sure the process from historic view to future-oriented is smooth. This is a process that takes time and many phases, but focuses on the best use of your company’s data.
Utilities trends & challenges
- delivering reliable, cost effective and sustainable electricity, gas and water in a safe manner across Canada’s varied geography
- aging assets affecting cost, risk and customer service
- slow economic growth coupled with energy efficiency resulting in flat demand
- dated, legacy systems causing inefficient business processes and day-to-day operations
How we can help
- build integrated strategic, operational and financial planning models around revenue earning capabilities, investment requirements and associated maintenance of capital assets
- enhance your asset investment planning (AIP) with better processes, data and tools
- integrate business planning, information management and technology to refine the management of your asset portfolio
- improve operating/delivery models, business processes and data through technology-enabled transformation
- build information models with end reporting requirements in mind
Oil & gas trends & challenges
- increased emphasis on effective cost management due to higher costs for developing new projects (more complex geological environments and/or need to use more expensive technology) and difficulties with obtaining access to financing
- project economics and delivery in jeopardy due to higher price volatility
- Long planning cycles with significant gaps between target and actual data due misalignment between field operations and corporate headquarters
- complicates data management due to multiple tiers of systems
- difficulties managing the demands of complex stakeholder groups (e.g. JV, government, customers, shareholders, NGO, etc.)
How we can help
- implement proper costing models to improve your understanding of underlying cost drivers and manage costs in a sustainable way
- improve investment decisions through broad metrics and integrated scenario planning and modelling
- guide appropriate resource allocation and effective long-term asset management by aligning business plans, financial budgets and forecasts to organizational with input from both field operations and corporate headquarters
- increase the quality, consistency, accuracy, completeness, relevance and speed of management information by integrating operational and financial systems
Mining trends & challenges
- loss of confidence in management’s ability to deliver results
- greater operational and financial transparency due to tightening regulation
- pressures on capital investment decisions and return on capital already employed due to higher hurdle rates
- declining revenues and operating cash flow due to falling commodity prices
- profitability pressures resulting from declines in ore grades coupled with cost inflation
Pinpointing third party risks(this will be a fly out which will pop-up over the page when clicked)An effective third party risk management (TPRM) program will make your business safer and more secure. You’ll be able to identify and monitor current and future vendor risks while improving transparency in controls and related activities.
PwC’s comprehensive TPRM framework addresses strategy, structure, people, process and technology issues across the TPRM lifecycle, helping you:
- Assess your current environment.
- Increase the efficiency and effectiveness of vendor-related risk management.
- Develop a customized TPRM framework.
- Develop a risk stratification protocol to highlight risks by vendor.
- Implement and conduct effective TPRM activities, such as vendor assessments.
- Establish a comprehensive TPRM governance and reporting process.
Industrial products trends & challenges
- misalignment of value drivers and a lack of trust in the numbers due to inconsistent quality of source data
- poor timeliness and usefulness of management reporting due to complex corporate structures and processes
- difficulties around accurate planning, budgeting and forecasting due to cost uncertainties
- senior management shifting its focus from long-term growth to short-term sustainment due to downward price pressures
How we can help
- position finance as a key strategic partner by measuring cross-enterprise performance to provide accurate, timely and reliable business insight
- design and implement processes to identify critical cost drivers and to build a framework around sustainable cost management and control
- link strategic, operational, and financial planning
- develop an agile and scalable reporting process and structures to drive decision making at different levels within your organization
- implement global consolidation processes and platforms for your global, complex, decentralized organization
- integrate financial platforms with your legacy ERP(s)
Retail & consumer trends & challenges
- new (e.g. digital, mobile) delivery models to customers
- increased amount of data to manage due to complex product structures and numerous SKUs
- “big data” mining to obtain external and internal insights to improve decision making and investment opportunities
- instilling pricing discipline and practices
- costing optimization
How we can help
- evaluate profitability of new retail models (e.g. mobile channels vs. next generation retail store models)
- develop relevant and comprehensive metrics that will assist you with the development of your pricing and merchandising strategy
- provide clear visibility into the drivers of your overall margins, including a breakdown by category and market segments
- translate data into relevant, timely insight, allowing you to effectively meet customer demands, references and cross-channel accessibility
- meet digital transformation head on by developing a long-term vision for scalable and versatile technology investments
Public sector trends & challenges
- fiscal pressures, the need to deliver value for money by doing more with less
- focusing on areas with the greatest impact (e.g. job creation, economic growth, prosperity, quality of life)
- the need for greater transparency and accountability
- improved services through a broad array of delivery channels and more convenient hours at a lower cost to taxpayers
How we can help
- identify and implement improvement opportunities by evaluating programs and services against the public policy objectives
- demonstrate “value for money” by establishing reporting processes and metrics to track execution against public accountability and transparency objectives
- effectively manage costs and overall service delivery by improving cost analytics
- develop a more effective and integrated approach to end-to-end planning, budgeting and forecasting by incorporating both costs and benefits of public policy initiatives
- design resource allocation processes based on strategic impact against your public mandate to taxpayers