Mission control is a quarterly analysis of global merger and acquisition (M&A) activity in the aerospace & defense industry. Each edition includes a review of overall deal activity for the quarter and year-to-date, as well as a summary of large deals.
Here are the highlights from this quarter's analysis:
- With $8.7 billion in announced deals, M&A value was strong during the fourth quarter of 2012
- Two mega-deal announcements, primarily in the commercial aerospace segment, drove approximately 80% of the total deal value in the fourth quarter
- Deal volume increased slightly during the fourth quarter, compared with the prior quarter
- Total deal value for the year was $19.5 billion, about 15% below the preceding 10-year average of $22.9 billion
- The defense sector did not experience any mega deals (above $1 billion) in 2012, while 2011 brought four mega deals in the segment, totaling $10.6 billion